Saturday, April 5, 2008

My Mission and Vision

If I am my own CEO, at the same time it means

I am my own Organization

An organization, which pursues collective goals, which controls its own performance, and which has a boundary separating it from its environment.

An organization must have mission and vision. As a non native English speaker I have always had trouble distinguishing the difference between them. Not anymore! Before writing this blog I had to figure out a way never to mix them up again.

My Manager’s Toolbox Mission is Lifelong Learning. This simple mission statement tells me what Manager’s Toolbox is now. It defines my customer, critical processes and it informs me about the desired level of performance.

My Manager’s Toolbox Vision is Improved Management and Leadership Skills. This simple vision statement outlines what Manager’s Toolbox wants to be. It is my source of inspiration and provides clear decision-making criteria.

I never mix up mission and vision again, because I remember them with the help of these two unexpected sources – activating also the creative right side of brain.

The Blues Brothers have a simple mission statement "We're on a mission from God". Their mission statement includes everything they need to remember about the fact that The Catholic orphanage they grew up in needs to pay $5,000 taxes in 11 days, or else it will be closed. Their mission keeps them going despite all the obstacles on their way.

See for your self, The Blues Brothers: "We're on a mission from God"


John Lennon’s Imagine is a simple vision statement “Imagine all the people living life in peace”. In December 2006 Former U.S. president Jimmy Carter said, "In many countries around the world — my wife and I have visited about 125 countries — you hear John Lennon's song 'Imagine' used almost equally with national anthems." Think about it. In 2006! Do you remember on which decade Imagine was released and Jimmy Carter took office? Imagine is a strong vision statement still remembered by millions of people around the world.

Just listen to it, John Lennon's Vision: “Imagine all the people living life in peace”


Do you remember your organizations Mission and Vision statements?

Are they good ones?

Do you have your personal mission and vision statements helping you to clarify what you do and why?

0 comments: